This morning, as we continued our study in Colossians, we looked at Colossians 1:21-23. The passage is a beautifully written summary of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The Apostle Paul laid this passage out so that it could be easily understood. Verse 21 describes where we once were apart from Christ and the Gospel of grace. Verse 22 paints a picture of where we now stand because of the love of God and the sufficient work of Christ on the cross of Calvary. Verse 23 then reveals what life should look like after the life changing work of the Gospel is applied to our hearts.
We could outline the passage like this:
- Where we once were (21) - Alienated, hostile in mind, doing evil deeds.
- Where we now stand (22) - Reconciled to God and in His eyes holy, blameless, and irreproachable.
- How we must go on (23) - Continuing in faith and holding fast to the hope of the Gospel.
This passage sets the stage for the rest of Paul's letter to the Colossians. The simple truth is that our lives should be different because of the Gospel. If we truly have heard, understood, believed in, and experienced the life altering work of the Gospel then our lives, the ways in which we respond to trial, our values, etc... ought to look different. Paul's encouragement to us here is that we live in light of the Gospel. That our faith should be more steadfast. That our hope should be sure. And that our commitment to the Gospel should be unwavering.
Scriptures for Further Study:
This week, as you continue diving deeper into the word, consider the following verses:
- Ephesians 2:1-22
- Galatians 2:15-21
- Romans 4:13-25
Questions for Review:
As you study this week, prayerfully answer these questions.
- What has God accomplished through Christ? Be specific. List out the specific things God has done for us through Christ's death and resurrection.
- When was Christ's work of atonement finished? When was it applied to my life personally? How was it applied to my life?
- What are the practical ways that my life should look and be different because of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Be specific and list them out.